Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Best Man

I had a vision
because 'dream' seems like
too much a word here-
too improbable, maybe-might-not
come to happen...
Visions, like the world hanging from
a branch. Ripe,not flat like a table
between us- visions come to men
of a sure cadence.
Anway.
I saw myself,black lapels of a suit
pointing like compas needles, hour hands
away and out from heart.
I raised a glass, raising a voice
to you, to the many tables
to the chandelier which leaned in to
listen to the five words that shaped my life.
Do you want some rum?
Led to Do you want a cigarette?
Led to Do you want some lunch,
a future, a hug, to meet up with me later
Led to this day in my vision.
Do you want some help picking out a ring
for Her?
Led to, Yes, only because you helped me
pick out one for Him. Pick out names for Them
Led to christenings and backyard barbeques
and the table of brightly wrapped everythings
on a table before you filled with all the things
I wish I could give you back-
all the things all the things
You gave me years ago.
Now tell me really this time- Do you
want some rum? Or, maybe this time
Will a champagne toast do just fine my friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment